Tempted By Others - Encryption

• Закрыто Тема закрыта
12 ответов в этой теме

#1 C.S.J

C.S.J

• Posters
  • 199 Сообщений:

Отправлено 09 Июнь 2009 - 23:30

Im tempted to purchase 'another' antivirus for my laptop, as drweb is lacking some things i want.

ive noticed GData's Notebook Security 2010, and its quite appealing.

it has the very important 'to me' encryption tools, and for $50 a year, it aint too bad.

plus, it has the missing features that drweb should have, like a proper quarantine

I really do adore Drweb, and believe ive put alot back into it, but thinking back, ive not really seen much progress, i know Drweb is a small company, and i get along very well with many of the staff too, but things just aint happening, or shall i say, things just aint moving how i want them to.

Do i trust Drweb, sure.
will i still use it on the 'pc', sure.
Do i like Drweb,...erm, of course!!! :)

but, for my notebook where i have some really sensitive information, i need that encryption, and simple matters like the quarantine and slow scanner still really bug me.

a company from my home country, Prevx are really good too, but thats made to work with any antivirus, so i can still use this with anything.

i think, id like a change on my laptop, and keep up with drweb on the pc-alone, maybe in 12 months i shall bring drweb back to the laptop (if things have moved further to how i want it)

=====

anyway, these are just 'thoughts' at the moment.

currently, trialing Gdata TotalCare as they dont offer a trial for the notebook security version.

and of course, still a happy chappy with drweb on the PC. :)

#2 malcontent70

malcontent70

• Posters
  • 34 Сообщений:

Отправлено 10 Июнь 2009 - 00:06

My love for Dr. Web has diminished recently. It started with another memory leak in spideragent.exe. So far, no word that this issue is going to be addressed anytime soon. Even though I have 6 months left on my license, I uninstalled Dr. Web. Since Avira started including spyware/adware detection in Avira Free edtion, I installed it. After getting rid of the update pop ups and scheduled a few more virus updates, it's been running smooth and light. Running Avira and ThreatFire together on my computer has been a very good experience. I must admit, with version 9 of Avira, it runs as light as Dr. Web on my computer. I was surprised. No false alarms with Avira heuristics set to high.

As you mentioned, it's the little things. Like a proper quarantine. Something like that should have been done a LONG time ago. Small/easy things that would improve user experience and usability.

I don't think I'm going to be renewing my Dr. Web license this fall. For now, I'm going to be using Avira Free. I don't think I'm going to come back to Dr. Web until more progress has been made on the "small things". Hopefully that will be sooner then later. When this happens, I'll more then likely come back to Dr. Web.

For the record, I LOVE Dr. Web. Hopefully development will speed up.

I think Dr. Web is using a lot of resources to developing Dr.Web AV-Desk. With all the recent announcements of Russian ISP's and businesses buying Dr.Web AV-Desk it's obvious that Dr.Web AV-Desk is what is making them the most money. As a result, Dr. Web anti-virus development has suffered. That's just my opinion. Nothing more.

#3 C.S.J

C.S.J

• Posters
  • 199 Сообщений:

Отправлено 10 Июнь 2009 - 00:17

My love for Dr. Web has diminished recently. It started with another memory leak in spideragent.exe. So far, no word that this issue is going to be addressed anytime soon. Even though I have 6 months left on my license, I uninstalled Dr. Web. Since Avira started including spyware/adware detection in Avira Free edtion, I installed it. After getting rid of the update pop ups and scheduled a few more virus updates, it's been running smooth and light. Running Avira and ThreatFire together on my computer has been a very good experience. I must admit, with version 9 of Avira, it runs as light as Dr. Web on my computer. I was surprised. No false alarms with Avira heuristics set to high.

As you mentioned, it's the little things. Like a proper quarantine. Something like that should have been done a LONG time ago. Small/easy things that would improve user experience and usability.

I don't think I'm going to be renewing my Dr. Web license this fall. For now, I'm going to be using Avira Free. I don't think I'm going to come back to Dr. Web until more progress has been made on the "small things". Hopefully that will be sooner then later. When this happens, I'll more then likely come back to Dr. Web.

I think Dr. Web is using a lot of resources to developing Dr.Web AV-Desk. With all the recent announcements of Russian ISP's and businesses buying Dr.Web AV-Desk it's obvious that Dr.Web AV-Desk is what is making them the most money. As a result, Dr. Web anti-virus development has suffered. That's just my opinion. Nothing more.

well, i'll still be very much a drwebber, just not on my laptop :)

and probably still, sometimes on my laptop ... as i do like to change my setup every now and then.

but my laptop is full of things i cant 'afford' to let loose, the Gdatas encryption in their 'notebook security' is what appeals to me the most for my laptop, but no trial for it, so it would be a 12 month risk.

#4 C.S.J

C.S.J

• Posters
  • 199 Сообщений:

Отправлено 10 Июнь 2009 - 00:51

well, i'll still be very much a drwebber, just not on my laptop :)

and probably still, sometimes on my laptop ... as i do like to change my setup every now and then.

but my laptop is full of things i cant 'afford' to let loose, the Gdatas encryption in their 'notebook security' is what appeals to me the most for my laptop, but no trial for it, so it would be a 12 month risk.

or maybe a product like defensewall could protect such files, and i could continue to use drweb.

damn, i just dont know.

really do need some kind of encryption protection for really sensitive files, getting paranoid having these files on my machine. (and i do need them on my machine)

i know drweb offer such a product, in russian........ *Sigh*

#5 malcontent70

malcontent70

• Posters
  • 34 Сообщений:

Отправлено 10 Июнь 2009 - 01:05

or maybe a product like defensewall could protect such files, and i could continue to use drweb.

damn, i just dont know.

really do need some kind of encryption protection for really sensitive files, getting paranoid having these files on my machine. (and i do need them on my machine)

How about:

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Main Features:

* Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

* Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

* Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

* Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

* Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.

Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Serpent, and Twofish. Mode of operation: XTS.

#6 malcontent70

malcontent70

• Posters
  • 34 Сообщений:

Отправлено 10 Июнь 2009 - 01:10

well, i'll still be very much a drwebber, just not on my laptop smile.gif

The reason I uninstalled Dr. Web was because of the memory leak issue. It was affecting the performance of my computer. Otherwise I wouldn't have switched AV's right now. I still have 6 months left on my license. If development improves in that time, I can still renew.

#7 risl

risl

• Posters
  • 228 Сообщений:

Отправлено 10 Июнь 2009 - 22:46

I have a license valid until september 2011 for 2 computers, but currently trialing F-prot because no one really seems to care about the memory issue(and also some other things). The bug reports are not taken care of and I think someone from the staff made fun of the whole thing, unless I misunderstood something.

#8 Dr33

Dr33

• Posters
  • 45 Сообщений:

Отправлено 11 Июнь 2009 - 06:00

yes seems they dont care like another big problem when the computer freeze every signature update :) , my license valid until 2012

#9 sergeyko

sergeyko

Guru

• Dr.Web Staff
  • 3 925 Сообщений:

Отправлено 11 Июнь 2009 - 14:02

I have a license valid until september 2011 for 2 computers, but currently trialing F-prot because no one really seems to care about the memory issue(and also some other things). The bug reports are not taken care of and I think someone from the staff made fun of the whole thing, unless I misunderstood something.

We actually care. The problem is already fixed and I hope it'll be realesed on Monday.
Sergey Komarov
R&D www.drweb.com

#10 risl

risl

• Posters
  • 228 Сообщений:

Отправлено 11 Июнь 2009 - 15:27

That makes a positive difference. I thought we were ignored because no one didn't say it will be fixed(in the other thread)or being looked at, and the bug reports were not replied.

#11 C.S.J

C.S.J

• Posters
  • 199 Сообщений:

Отправлено 12 Июнь 2009 - 07:25

damn, i just dont know.

How about:

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Main Features:

* Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

* Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

* Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.

hey,

definitely checking this out!! :)

however, i created a 500mb mini-encrypted drive and i have to keep mounting the drive before accessing my files,

does this have to be the case, as its a bit of a pain?

can it not auto-mount the drive on bootup without losing any encryption?

the FAQ states that when mounted, the files are all still encrypted on-the-fly

sounds promising, and if it works..... i wont have to change a thing on my laptop :)

----
id love to delete the little 500mb mini drive, and encrypt my whole partition drive....... but would this be safe? will all my files currently on the partition still work and be accessible?

#12 C.S.J

C.S.J

• Posters
  • 199 Сообщений:

Отправлено 12 Июнь 2009 - 15:26

but my laptop is full of things i cant \'afford\' to let loose, the Gdatas encryption in their \'notebook security\' is what appeals to me the most for my laptop, but no trial for it, so it would be a 12 month risk.

damn, i just dont know.

How about:

[url="http://\"http://www.truecrypt.org/\""]http://www.truecrypt.org/[/url]

Main Features:

hey,

definitely checking this out!! :)

however, i created a 500mb mini-encrypted drive and i have to keep mounting the drive before accessing my files,

does this have to be the case, as its a bit of a pain?

can it not auto-mount the drive on bootup without losing any encryption?

the FAQ states that when mounted, the files are all still encrypted on-the-fly

sounds promising, and if it works..... i wont have to change a thing on my laptop :)

----
id love to delete the little 500mb mini drive, and encrypt my whole partition drive....... but would this be safe? will all my files currently on the partition still work and be accessible?

thanks for the advice Malcontent,

TrueCrypt is working :)

my whole d:/ partition is encrypted and cannot even be seen unless i mount it and put in the correct password.

even after that, all files on the partition are encrypted with AES, and should i add anything to the partition, it encrypts automatically on-the-fly

its free, and keeps my files secure and best of all, its unobtrusive :)

my setup stays the same, http://forum.drweb.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.png

#13 malcontent70

malcontent70

• Posters
  • 34 Сообщений:

Отправлено 12 Июнь 2009 - 15:30

thanks for the advice Malcontent,

TrueCrypt is working :)

my whole d:/ partition is encrypted and cannot even be seen unless i mount it and put in the correct password.

even after that, all files on the partition are encrypted with AES, and should i add anything to the partition, it encrypts automatically on-the-fly

its free, and keeps my files secure and best of all, its unobtrusive :)

my setup stays the same, :)

Your welcome. I'm glad was able to help.

Читают тему: 0

0 пользователей, 0 гостей, 0 скрытых